Social media has always been the go to place to escape from the world or to make your mark on the world. It's used to build up businesses and unfortunately sometimes used to discourage one another simply yourself. I want to touch on how social media goes hand in hand with identity crisis.
I can't think of a better example than to use the television show, Catfish. If you haven't heard or watched the show, Catfish is focused on people who have met online who are meeting in person for the first time. Usually, one person reaches out to the show because they want to meet the person they fell in love with or are interested in. Eventually the truth comes out and someone is not who they say they are.
I've watched many episodes of this show and there's usually one thing in common. The person who is the catfish (the one who isn't who they say they are), admits to using social media to hide, because they felt unwanted, unloved, and unworthy. They attempted to conceal who they are because they felt like they weren't good enough to be friends with or to be in love with. Others used social media to portray who they really are but don't know how to be or can't be who they really are in real life.
Are you catfishing or being cat fished?
With all the different types of social media, it isn't hard to pretend to be someone you aren't. For example, Snapchat that has filters that enhance our facial features to make us look how we want to look.
Here are a few ways to notice if you are being cat fished or are catfishing:
- Feeling the need to hide behind a platform to be accepted.
- Using only pictures that make you look a certain way to grab attention.
- Dealing with someone who can't be true to who they are (virtual or physical).
What can you do?
All the hiding doesn't change the fact that there is this feeling inside taking over.
So, what are some things you can do to be true to yourself?
- Wake up in the morning wanting to discover who you are more and more each day.
- Talk about the feelings that are held inside, and find a reason to love yourself every day.
- Find something encouraging to focus on and surround yourself with positivity.
- Love who you are as a person before anyone else can
There's no need to feel alone, the world is a better place when we support each other.